This is something that is just a little bit different but has lots of flavour.
Smoked Trout (using a hot smoker)
- 4 trout fillets
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup salt
Place the fillets on the tray of the hot smoker.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and the salt.
Cook as per the directions of your smoker.
We find that about 10-15 mins is about right depending on the thickness of your fillets.
This is really nice served hot on a nice green salad and covered with a nice dressing or served cold with biscuits and cheese.
We use a Jarvis Walker stainless steel smoker (approx $59.95) and use either Mallee root, Sheoak or Mesquite shavings.
Salt baked trout with creamy saffron sauce
- 1½ kg cooking salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1.2 kg trout (whole)
- 175 g watercress, trimmed
- 90ml dry white wine
- 30ml white wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Small pinch saffron threads
- ¼ cup cream
- 90g butter, chilled and chopped
Preheat oven to 190.
- Mix salt and egg whites. Spread over the base of a large baking dish.
- Place fish on top and cover with remaining salt mix.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- While fish is cooking;
- Make sauce by mixing wine, vinegar. lemon and saffron in saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Boil until it has reduced by about a third.
- Add the cream and bring back to the boil then whisk in the butter one piece at a time until it thickens. (keep it warm)
- Take fish from the oven. (You will need to break the salt crust being careful not to cut the fish)
- Remove the skin and flake fish into pieces.
- Place on a serving plate with the watercress and drizzle the sauce over the fish.